If you are starting a self-hosted blog, the big question is what WordPress theme to choose. You may be tempted to choose a free WordPress theme over a premium theme.
In this post, I’ll explain the difference between free and premium themes. I’ll also review Genesis WordPress themes by StudioPress to show you why they are ideal even if you are a beginner.
What are WordPress Themes?
A WordPress Theme determines the design of your blog. There are thousands of themes available to choose from to change the look and feel of your blog.
Most WordPress themes include certain customizable elements. You can change many elements like headers, colors, arrangement of content and more without affecting the underlying software.
There are two types of WordPress themes: free and premium.
Genesis framework by StudioPress is a premium collection of themes for WordPress. Like other premium themes, you pay for the theme, download it and install in on your blog.
The advantage of premium themes like Genesis is that they are designed to be simple to customize and provide customer support.
With free WordPress themes, you don’t get customer support. If you attempt to make a change to the design and make a mistake, there is no customer support.
Plus, if you choose a free theme for WordPress, chances are it won’t get updated to be compatible with any current version of WordPress.
The free themes for WordPress, while they may be tempting, will end up being more trouble than it’s worth because they are not easy to modify.
I’ve used the free themes before and it was a huge headache.
Why Genesis Are the Easiest WordPress Themes for Beginners
Before I get into why I love the StudioPress themes, I’ll give you a little history.
Several years ago, I found these amazing themes created by Brian Gardner. They were easy to work with and had a professional design. The company was called Revolution Themes.
The company eventually evolved and grew into StudioPress themes, creator of the Genesis FrameWork for WordPress.
I’ve been a user for a long time. However I have used other themes and nothing really compares.
In fact, the Genesis premium themes are so good, I purchased the Pro Plus All-Theme Package a few years ago.
The Pro Plus All Theme package includes every StudioPress theme they make now and in the future. It’s great!
I have a few blogs and I update the themes whenever I want to without worrying about additional cost. Plus, StudioPress is always coming out with amazing new themes for WordPress.
Let’s dive into 5 reasons why I recommend Genesis.
1. Genesis by StudioPress is a Parent – Child Framework
The Genesis WordPress theme consists of a framework. This framework is the underlying “parent” theme that contains all the theme template functionality.
The child themes use the underlying framework functionality and add the custom design, features and the ability to easily customize your WordPress theme.
2. Theme Customization is Simple
Out of all the themes I’ve ever used, Genesis by StudioPress are the easiest WordPress themes to customize.
I am NOT a coder and don’t want to be. I needed the WordPress themes for dummies!
For example, with their Simple Edits plugin, you can easily modify the post-info byline, post-meta and footer area on Genesis themes.
It’s really as simple as adding information into a text box without the pain of learning weird code.
You can also easily customize a number of other elements like the colors, header, front home page design, and much more!
3. StudioPress is Mobile Responsive
Having a mobile responsive site is crucial, especially nowadays. Google started focusing on mobile due to the large percentage of people who use mobile devices to access everything on the Internet.
Fortunately, StudioPress themes are created with mobile responsiveness built-in.
There you go, one thing you won’t have to be concerned about with these themes!
4. Customer and Community Support
StudioPress has a help desk and support forum. They also have a huge community of users where you post questions and get answers.
That’s not all!
For every Genesis child theme, there are complete tutorials on how to install and setup the theme.
It’s pretty amazing. I couldn’t fit the entire screen in this image but you get the idea. They provide video tutorials and tons of support.
It’s so worth every penny!
5. StudioPress keeps their Themes for WordPress Updated
Since WordPress.org updates their software on a regular basis, it’s important the themes you use stay updated to be compatible with those versions.
Again, many free themes do not update for compatibility. That’s where you’ll run into problems for sure!
Genesis themes are updated on a regular basis. One less headache to worry about.
StudioPress Genesis Themes Resources
I know that it takes time to research and figure out how to choose a WordPress theme.
Here are some resources for Genesis to help you figure out if these premium themes are a good fit for you and your blog.
- Genesis Child Premium Themes : Choose from many Child themes. You can get information about any one of them as well as use the demo to see exactly how it works. They have a large selection across many categories like Food, Lifestyle, Business, Travel and more!
- Learn More Details about the Genesis Framework: Still need more info? Here you will find details about how the Genesis Framework works, it’s turnkey features, security and simple updates.
- StudioPress Pro Plus All-Theme Package: I own the Pro Plus package and love it! With access to all current and future themes, you can’t go wrong. It’s well suited for any WordPress theme designer or, if you think you’ll want to change themes on a yearly basis. A great investment.
- Genesis WordPress Plugins: There are many plugins available to make customization even easier and add features to your theme.
- StudioPress Affiliate Program: You can easily apply to the affiliate program. If you use a Genesis theme on your blog, put the affiliate link in your footer for visitors that want to learn more about the theme you are using. Use a “powered by Genesis” for the link text. Learn more about affiliate marketing.
I hope this article helped you learn more about choosing the right WordPress theme for your site and why Genesis by StudioPress may be a great fit for you.
Although free themes are tempting, they are more trouble than it’s worth in the long term. The advantages of going with a Premium theme far outweigh the potential problems with a free one.