Are you thinking about transferring your website to a new web hosting provider? It can be overwhelming to even think about doing!
The good news is that there is a simple way to migrate a website from one host to another.
That is, use a FREE website transfer service.
What is Website Transfer?
Website transfer is when you move your WordPress blog from one hosting provider to another. There are any number of reasons why you might want to change web hosts:
- Their webhosting service is terrible.
- Your website is slower than a snail.
- The customer service is so awful you are ready to pull your hair out.
- The webhosting plan renewal fee is astronomical and you can’t afford it.
- The uptime is more like downtime most of the time.
That list can go on and on.
Moving your blog to a new web hosting account doesn’t have to be a daunting task.
How I Moved my Websites to a new Web Host
I was not happy with my web host (that I shall not name). My blog was so slow it was getting ridiculous. I was calling technical support every week due to downtime.
Their response was for me to pay them even more money for some additional services to help relieve the situation.
That’s when I decided to look for a new web host. After a lot of research and reading hundreds of review, I selected SiteGround.
One of the most important things for me is speed. SiteGround has an SSD platform, free CDN, 5 data centers to choose from, and an in-house caching solution called the SuperCacher (available on GrowBig and GoGeek plans.)
They are also known for incredible uptime. So I went ahead and purchased the StartUp plan for single website.
I figured I would try them out for a couple of months before transferring my other websites over.
Free Website Transfer Service
Fortunately, SiteGround offers a free website transfer so I didn’t have to deal with doing it myself. That very thought was overwhelming!
It was simple and I was pleasantly surprised that they completed the task within 2 hours. They communicated with me every step of the way.
I was able to test out my transferred website before switching my domain DNS to point to the new web host.
After I tested it, I changed my domain DNS and that was it!
SiteGround did a great job of transferring my website. They were communicative, efficient, and got the job done perfectly.
I since upgraded to the GoGeek plan and transferred over more of my websites.
What are the Steps to Transfer your Website to SiteGround?
The steps to transfer your site are pretty easy. Before you get started, make sure you do NOT cancel your current web hosting account. Complete the entire process of migrating your website first.
You will need to having your cPanel log in credentials on-hand. If you are not sure of your cPanel log in username and password, contact your current web host to get that information.
Website Transfer Step 1: Find a New Web Host and Get an Account
Do your research on a new web host that you feel you can stick with that has all the features you are looking for.
SiteGround has some impressive features, including:
- Knowledgeable support team – if there’s one thing that SiteGround is highly recognized for is their 24/7 expert support
- Speed – their SuperCacher and other speedy technology will have your website loading super fast.
- Amazing uptime: free, automated daily backups, platform built on Linux containers, chroot-ed environment with account isolation technology
- Multilayered security on application, server and network level, WordPress & Joomla! autoupdates, custom anti-bot artificial intelligence system, virus and malware scans
You also get one free professional website transfer with SiteGround. This makes moving website from one host to another super simple.
Sign up for your SiteGround hosting now and get your blog moved for free!
Here’s a speed test from one of my sites. Pretty cool!
SiteGround has 3 web hosting plans:
I recommend that you start with StartUp. You can always upgrade later. I did and again, their service was top notch and efficient.
After you sign up, you’ll get your website log in information to your email within minutes.
Website Transfer Step 2: Fill out the SiteGround Website Transfer Form
For this step you’ll need your current web hosting cPanel log in information to request the website transfer.
- Log into your SiteGround account. Go to the User Area > Support > Request Assistance from Our Team. Then click the Contact us here link.
- From the list of support topics, click Transfer Website.
- Fill out the information on the form and then click Submit. If you need help with the form, contact SiteGround customer support via Live Chat or phone.
After you complete this step, SiteGround will be in contact with you via the support area of your account.
Website Transfer Step 3: Point your Domain DNS to your new Web Host
After SiteGround completes the transfer of your website, you’ll be instructed on how to review it.
Once you are happy that the job is complete and done correctly, you can safely point your domain name to your new webhost.
- Log into your SiteGround cPanel to get your domain name server. (My Account > Go to cPanel.)
- Under Account Information, you will see two Name Servers. Keep that page open.
- Log into your domain registration account.
- Each registrar may be a little different. You’ll need to change the domain name servers (DNS) for your domain name to point it to your new webhost. If you need help, contact the customer support for your domain name registrar.
Here’s an image of how to do it with NameCheap.
After you change the domain name servers, it will take up to 72 hours for that information to propagate through the Internet.
Once that is complete, you’ll be able to log into your WordPress blog at your new host.
Use the SiteGround Migrator Plugin to Transfer your WordPress Site
As an alternative, you can migrate your WordPress site on your own using the new SiteGround Migrator plugin.
SiteGround offers this simple, cost-effective transfer method to customers. You can transfer multiple WordPress sites from any host to SiteGround at no extra cost by using the plugin.
Any person can manage their own site transfer. Whether you are technically savvy or not. The plugin uses a Migration Token that is generated in your SiteGround account. From there, you can move a website you own that is hosted elsewhere, securely to SiteGround.
You’ll have to sign up for your new SiteGround account first. Then there are some simple steps to follow.
Step 1: Generate a migration token in SiteGround cPanel.
Log in to your cPanel account and go to WordPress Tools -> WordPress Migrator.
Select the domain you want to use and click Generate.
A window with a long string of symbols will appear. This is the Migration Token.
Step 2: Install SiteGround migrator plugin to your current WordPress installation.
Log into the WordPress site you want to move and install the SiteGround migrator plugin. It’s available in the official WordPress plugin repository.
Step 3: Paste the migration token in the plugin to start the migration.
After installing the plugin, select the SG Migrator menu on your left column. Paste the Migration Token you’ve generated in the first step and then click the Initiate Transfer.
That’s it! SiteGround will create a copy of your account, move it to their servers and install it for you.You can follow the progress in the plugin. interface.
Once the transfer is finished, you will receive instructions on how to complete the transfer both on the confirmation screen and via email.
The best part! Each transferred site has a temporary URL that you can use for 48 hours. It’s a great way to check your site and make sure everything looks correct in the new host location.
If everything is good, then it’s time to switch the DNS settings of the domain to point to your SiteGround account.
SiteGround has an excellent website transfer service. They will move one website for free per hosting account.
Leave a Reply